Share this article



A MAN accused of burglary and committing a felony has told the Lusaka Magistrates’ Court that he broke into the complainant’s house but did not get anything from there.

Giving his defence after being found with a case to answer by Magistrate Martha Miti on Thursday, Albert Njovu said he was alone when he broke into the house in Chawama Township, contrary to what complainant Demus Zulu said that he found three people standing outside the house door on the material day. In his evidence in chief, Zulu, 24, said on October 29, 2018 around 02:00 hours, he was awoken by some noise at the door.

“When I woke up I saw three men standing at the door and I shouted ‘thief’ after which they ran away. I got out of the house and started chasing them. I managed to apprehend one of them but I started struggling with him.

“Later on my younger brother woke up and joined me in struggling with the suspect until we managed to apprehend him and take him back to our house. By then some neighbours had woken up and we decided not to beat him up but take him to Chawama police station,” Zulu said.

Zulu, a student at Evelyn Hone College, said he later discovered that his black bag containing school books, National Registration Card, TV remote control, and student identity card had gone missing and all the items were never recovered.

He said he also found in the house a strange black big cell phone which he suspected was left behind by the suspected burglars.

And Zulu’s younger brother Jeff Samuyemba, 17, told the court that he helped his sibling in apprehending Njovu, who seemed much older than the two brothers.

An arresting officer told the court that when he visited the crime scene, he found that the house door’s locking system had been tampered with and that by then Njovu was already in custody after being apprehended at the scene.

Magistrate Miti then found Njovu with a case to answer and put him on his defence. In defence, Njovu said he entered the house but he did not steal anything. He said he did not own the black phone which Zulu said might have been left behind by the burglars.

He said during investigations police officers badly beat him up and that he wasnow unable to carry heavy things. The Court set Monday December 31, 2018 for judgment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *