Share this article



THIRTEEN people in Mkushi have been admitted to two Mkushi district hospitals after drinking contaminated sweet local beverage commonly known as Munkoyo.

Mkushi District Commissioner Luka Mwamba confirmed the incident after visiting the patients at the two hospitals.

Mr. Mwamba said in an interview on Sunday that the 13 were admitted on Saturday night to both old and new district hospitals.

Mr. Mwamba said the drink was made by one of the neighbours who shared it with the others.

After drinking the Munkoyo, the people started vomiting and purging, Mr Mwamba said.

He said among the affected people were four adults and nine children, adding that they were all out of danger and were still in the hospitals for observation.

“I am confirming the case which happened in Nkumbi ward were 13 people are admitted to new and old hospitals for vomiting and purging after drinking contaminated local brew Munkoyo.

All the 13 are out of danger after receiving treatment,” Mr Mwamba said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *